The Saint Mary’s University Writing Centre is seeking applicants for a position of Senior Science Writing Tutor. This position is casual and runs from August 2015 to December 2015.
The Writing Centre invites applicants who
- have a degree in either Biology or Engineering, or equivalent (preference given to advanced degrees);
- have demonstrated experience with academic writing tutoring, esp. to ELL students;
- have demonstrated excellent writing and communication skills;
- have demonstrated excellent presentation skills;
- have demonstrated training and experience in adult education instruction;
- can commit up to 16 hours per week (including evening and/or weekend shifts).
- tutoring students in developing improved writing and reading strategies specific to scientific report writing;
- working directly with faculty and in writing labs;
- leading periodic training workshops and attend staff training;
- researching and developing writing aids;
- participating and leading workshops on elements of writing;
- assisting in the day-to-day running of the centre and related duties as assigned;
- other duties as assigned.
$20.00 per hour.
Application may be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or in person to the Writing Centre, Burke 115. Please include the following:
- a cover letter and resume;
- two samples of writing (of which at least one is academic);
- three references, of which two are academic.
Job description: Reporting to the Writing Centre Director, a senior science writing tutor will act as a writing tutor to science students in BIOL 1201 and ENGE 1206. A senior science writing tutor must be able to demonstrate excellent communication and interpersonal skills, as well as strong tutoring and presentation expertise. More specifically, a senior science writing tutor must be able to demonstrate excellent writing and reading ability and analytical skills, as well as demonstrate training and experience in adult education principles and their uses, especially to English Language Learners. A senior tutor must be able to respond quickly and efficiently to the writing needs of all students of every skill level. Senior science writing tutors are responsible for holistic issues of academic writing development, organization, critical thinking, argument, and coherence specific to science report writing. This includes, but is not limited to, sentence and paragraph structure, grammar rules, internal logic, critical analysis, citation formatting, and forms of academic and professional science writing.
All writing tutors are required to have moderate proficiency in office management skills; computer skills (MS Office).
Competition closes August 31, 2015